pH Probe Care and Storage
Tech Talk 30
Proper handling and storage of pH electrodes will not only help to prolong the electrode's life, but also will ensure fast, accurate readings. General guidelines include:
- Electrodes should be rinsed between samples with deionized or distilled water.
- Never wipe an electrode dry as this can cause erroneous readings due to static charges.
- Never store electrodes in water; doing so will cause a sluggish response.
- Always keep the tip of the pH electrode moist. Electrode storage solution is a solution of 4M KCl. If unavailable, a pH 4 buffer solution will also work temporarily.
- In general, pH buffers only have a two-year shelf life unopened. Once opened, the shelf life drops to 2-3 months. However open pH 10 calibration solution only has a 30-day shelf life.
© Pentair Aquatic Eco-Systems, Inc. For more Tech Talks and thousands of aquatic products, visit our homepage